Position Type: Full-time term position ending March 31 2019
Environmental Defence (environmentaldefence.ca) is Canada’s most effective environmental action organization. We challenge and inspire change in government, business and people to ensure a greener, healthier and prosperous life for all.
Position Summary & Core Expectations:
We seek an experienced and personable Communications Manager to develop and execute a marketing and communications plan for a project to engage Ontarians in climate action. The ideal candidate will have project management experience including managing external/agency partners and related budgets, and tracking and evaluating communications activities. They need to be an excellent writer and editor, and be creative and collaborative with a keen eye for detail. We work in a fast-paced office and our work can change daily, so being flexible and organized is key.
If you love digital comms and want to lead a large marketing and communications project, work with a stellar team and get Ontarians jazzed about fighting climate change, then this is the job for you!
- Strategic Planning and Project Management:
- Establish a strong working relationship with our agency partner; collaborate on marketing plan development and manage agency’s execution to ensure project objectives are met
- Develop and execute a communications plan for the project that includes media/blogger relations, social media, and web content
- Develop and manage mar/comm project budget and work plan
- Develop, write and edit communications materials including blogs, website text, op-eds, videos, newsletters, social media content
- Develop a media/blogger relations strategy, pitch and coordinate interviews; having existing relationships with key reporters and social media influencers is ideal
- Work with our Digital Engagement Manager to develop a social media strategy, create content and calendar; advise on community management
- Work closely and manage the relationship with our agency partner
- Collaborate with colleagues in all departments including campaigns, engagement, development and administration
- Share key learnings with all staff to advance EDC’s organizational goals
- 3-4 years experience as a communications professional, ideally in an area advancing social change
- Knowledge of climate issues in Ontario
- College or university degree in journalism, public relations or marketing, or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; must be able to communicate persuasively online and offline
- A creative thinker who can come up with innovative ways to reach new audiences and/or further engage supporters
- Strong organizational, work planning and time-management skills
- Demonstrated success using social media to advance a campaign/program
- Knowledge of database programs (e.g. Engaging Networks), communications analytics and management tools (e.g. Google
- Analytics, Sprout Social, Cision), design programs and video/photo editing software (e.g. Adobe Suite, Canva)
- Ability to establish and maintain effective personal relationships with other departments and external partners
- Commitment to Environmental Defence’s vision and mission
- Enthusiastic communicator who thrives in a fast-paced atmosphere, can meet tight deadlines and balance competing priorities
- A media savvy professional who enjoys keeping up with the latest news on key issues
- Creative problem-solver with a strong work ethic and keen attention to detail
- Flexible, motivated, and results-oriented; willing to work late or weekends when required
- Someone with a sense of humour and can take things in stride
This is a full time, term position. We offer a benefits package after a 3 month probationary period.
Applications will be accepted until 9 am on Monday May 28.
In your application please include your resume, a cover letter detailing communications experience, and a sample tweet about yourself as a candidate for this position.
Please direct your application BY EMAIL to email@example.com. Include “Communications Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Environmental Defence is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.