It’s time for your voice to be heard – here’s a quick and easy guide to telling the province to strengthen the Greenbelt and curb urban sprawl in Ontario.
Your voice matters. In May, the province announced its proposed amendments to the Greenbelt and Growth Plan and asked the public to provide feedback. Right now, it is especially critical for supporters of a stronger Greenbelt and smarter growth to be heard as the period to provide feedback comes to a close. You have until September 30th to have your say and submit your comments and thoughts about the kind of future you want for our province.
Make no mistake — some developers are trying to roll back protections to Ontario’s Greenbelt. They’re also trying to stop a move towards smarter growth and more efficient land use so they can keep sprawling over prime farmland and sensitive natural areas.
If we don’t act now, there’s a good chance the government will cave to their pressure to keep business as usual paving over our lands that provide us with local food, clean air and water.
Don’t let them win — only your voice can stop them.
You can sign our petition to strengthen the Greenbelt and choose smart growth and you can submit written comments directly to the Ontario government by filling out the comment online form, or sending them in by mail.
We’re here to help make the process as quick and easy for you as possible. Please take a few minutes to follow the five easy and quick steps below to send the province your comments before September 30th.
To send your comments via an online submission, take the following steps:
- Step 1 – Go to the provincial website: http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page14851.aspx
- Step 2 – Start filling in the government’s webform. You’ll be asked to provide your name, address, email address and city of residence.
- Step 3 – Scroll down, here you’ll be able to enter your comments in the boxes provided. If you prefer, you can also attach files such as word documents, excel spreadsheet, PDFs for documents and JPEG photos if you need to.
- Step 4 – Feel free to use the information on Environmental Defence’s website in the comment boxes. See our recommendations to the province in the letter here:
- Step 5 – The more detail the better. Include all the things you’d like to see the government do and why. You’re done!
There’s an optional Step 6, if you want to be a Greenbelt superstar:
- Step 6 – Optional – Copy your comments into an email and send them to you MPP and/or request a meeting over the summer to talk with your MPP directly about your concerns. Click here for your MPP’s contact information:
If you prefer to mail in your comments, take the following steps:
- Step 1 – Draft your letter
- Step 2 – Feel free to use the information on Environmental Defence’s website in the comment boxes. See our recommendations to the province in the letter here:
- Step 3 – Mail your finalized letter to:
Land Use Planning Review
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Ontario Growth Secretariat
777 Bay Street, Suite 425 (4th floor)
Toronto, ON M5G 2E5
- Step 4 – Optional – If you want to be a Greenbelt superstar, feel free to also send a copy of your letter to your MPP and/or request a meeting over the summer to talk with your MPP directly about your concerns. You can find your MPP’s address and contact information here.
Thank you for your help! Together we can send a strong message to Queen’s Park: we need a strong Greenbelt to protect valuable water sources, sensitive natural areas and some of Canada’s best farmland, and we need a bold Growth Plan to say goodbye to old-style urban sprawl and hello to smart sustainable communities that are better for the environment, our health and our wallets.