On Saturday, July 24, 2021, residents in communities near the proposed route of two controversial new highways are holding a Day of Action to demand “No More Highways.” If built, Highway 413 and the Bradford Bypass would pave over farms, forests, wetlands and a portion of the Greenbelt and cost Ontario taxpayers upwards of $6-10 Billion. Highway 413 alone would also add over 17 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, at a time when cutting emissions is more urgent than ever.
WHAT: “No More Highways” Day of Action, featuring rallies, demonstrations and flyer distribution, in 8 communities across southern Ontario
WHEN: Saturday, July 24, 2021 – times vary by location
- Brampton: Rallies outside the offices of MPP Prabmeet Sarkaria (Unit 412A, 7700 Hurontario St.), followed by MPP Amarjot Sandhu (Unit 309, 10 Gillingham Dr.)
Start time: 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
Contact: Rosemary Keenan, Sierra Club Peel, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bolton, Caledon: Rally at the Gore Road and Healey Road intersection
Start time: 2 p.m.
Contact: Dan O’Reilly, email@example.com, 905-857-3743
- Holland Landing, Simcoe: Rally outside Transport Minister Caroline Mulroney’s office at Unit 8, 45 Grist Mill Road, Holland Landing, L9N 1M7
Time: 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Contact: Margaret Prophet, Simcoe County Greenbelt Coalition, firstname.lastname@example.org, 705-718-1383
- King Township: Information drop near the King City OnRoute: Service Center 400 Northbound
Start time: 1 p.m.
Contact: Sherry Draisey, Concerned Citizens of King Township: email@example.com
- Kleinberg and the Nashville Conservation Reserve: Flyer drop at Huntington Road and Kirby Road, the McMichael Art Gallery, and the intersection of King Vaughan Road and Weston Road
Time: 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Contact: Irene Ford, firstname.lastname@example.org, 647-881-2151
- Mississauga: Bike tour of the 413 route, including stop at the offices of MP Iqra Khalid’s and MPP Sheref Sabawy, beginning in Tom Chater Memorial Park.
Time: 2 p.m. -5 p.m.
Contact: Rahul Mehta, Sustainable Mississauga, email@example.com, 647-462-1235
- Oakville: Rally at the Intersection of Trafalgar and Cornwall
Time: 1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Contact: Aki Tanaka, Oakville Climate Action, firstname.lastname@example.org, 416-333-5623
- Orangeville: Sign wave and information drop at the Orangeville Farmers’ Market at 90 Broadway
Start time: 10 a.m.
Contact: Laura Campbell, email@example.com
For more information about the Day of Action, please visit: https://environmentaldefence.ca/no-more-highways-day-of-action-july-24/
For background information about Highway 413, please visit: stopthe413.ca
For more information or to arrange an interview please contact: Barbara Hayes, Environmental Defence, firstname.lastname@example.org