Position Type: Full Time term position ending March 31 2019
Environmental Defence (www.environmentaldefence.ca) is Canada’s most effective environmental action organization. We challenge and inspire change in government, business and people to ensure a greener, healthier and prosperous life for all.
POSITION SUMMARY & CORE EXPECTATIONS
Environmental Defence Canada is seeking a skilled, enthusiastic Project Accountant with financial experience in Project Accounting. The ideal candidate must care about the environment, and have a passion for perfection and an eye for detail to provide financial support for our program activities.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Project Accountant’s primary responsibilities are budget development and expense tracking for projects, and periodic updating and reporting.
- Ensure financial accountability for grants and project accounts
- Develop and maintain project budgets for multiple internal programs and funders
- Ensure that all revenues from funding agencies are billed and received in accordance to funding agreements
- Review month end project financial reports for accuracy and follow up on any project deficits
- Work closely with project managers and respond to their inquiries and provide guidance in resolving accounting problems.
- Assist project staff with budgeting,
- Identify and collaborate on improvements to systems, processes, reports and technical tools
- Provide support to finance team as required
- Should posses an undergraduate degree with a concentration in accounting or a professional qualification/designation
- 3-5 years full cycle accounting experience in a complex environment, in a multi-program organization; non-profit experience in a charitable sector preferred
- Strong knowledge of guidelines on financial accountability
- Experience with Quickbooks an asset
- Strong Excel skills and competence with advanced functions (e.g., pivot tables, v-lookups, dynamic spreadsheets)
- Strong attention to detail paired with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent organizational, project management, planning, and prioritization skills
- Proven ability to work independently within a close-knit team environment
- Self-motivated with initiative; ability to work independently & effectively with minimal supervision
- Results oriented and process-improvement driven
- Adept at prioritizing work and coordinating tasks simultaneously
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects with multiple competing priorities
This is a full time, salaried, term position with completion date of March 31, 2019, based in our downtown Toronto office. We offer a benefits package after the 3 month probationary period.
Applications will be accepted until 9 am on Monday May 28.
Please direct your application BY EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Mary Ford, HR Manager, and include “Project Accountant” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Environmental Defence is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.