Program Manager – Water
Environmental Defence Canada (EDC) (environmentaldefence.ca) is a leading Canadian advocacy organization that works with government, industry and individuals to defend clean water, a safe climate and healthy communities.
POSITION SUMMARY & CORE EXPECTATIONS
We seek a highly committed, experienced, and outgoing Program Manager to coordinate the Environmental Defence water campaign, primarily in Ontario with a focus on the Great Lakes. The Program Manager reports to the Programs Director.
- Coordinating a network of environmental groups working together to protect the Great Lakes
- Developing and implementing strategies and campaigns to safeguard and enhance Ontario’s water protection, legislative and regulatory frameworks
- Plans and undertakes outreach to elected decision makers as well as government officials
- Prepares timely analysis, recommendations and commentary on policy proposals that reflect Environmental Defence’s policy priorities
- Writing and distributing communications materials (blogs, brochures, online newsletters, editorials etc.) to a variety of audiences on the importance of protecting the Great Lakes and other relevant freshwater issues in Canada
- Organizing and presenting at community events about the Great Lakes, including liaising with local Great Lakes groups to hold educational community-based events
- Working with communications team on promotions and media relations, including writing press releases and doing media interviews
- Working with the fundraising team to write grant proposals and reports
- Supports building good donor relationships and assists with soliciting financial support for the water program
- Manages program budgets and ensures all financial targets are met
- Three to five years experience on related issues
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication; traditional and social media skills an asset
- Demonstrated experience working with or leading collaborative processes or working groups
- Familiarity with federal and provincial governance; direct work experience as asset
- Solid understanding of environmental issues, especially fresh water policy and the Great Lakes
- Experience with policy development, political campaigns, advocacy campaigns, and/or government relations a plus
- Strong understanding of Canada’s media and political landscape; Experience with media an asset
- College or university degree in a related field
- Project management experience a plus
- Commitment to Environmental Defence Canada’s vision and mission
- Outgoing personality and enthusiastic communicator
- Flexibility and ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Great attention to detail
- A drive for success
- Thrives in a team environment
This is a permanent full time position. We offer a benefits package after the 3 month probationary period.
Applications will be accepted until 5 pm, September 25, 2020.
Please direct your application BY EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Program Manager, Water” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Environmental Defence is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.