Program Manager, Climate & Energy
POSITION TYPE: Full Time position
Environmental Defence Canada (EDC) (environmentaldefence.ca) is a leading Canadian advocacy organization that works with government, industry and individuals to defend clean water, a safe climate and healthy communities.
We seek a highly-committed, experienced and outgoing Program Manager to lead Environmental Defence’s efforts to advance and secure action from Canada’s federal government to develop and implement strong climate policy, cut carbon pollution, and build a clean energy economy. In particular, the Program Manager will be responsible for leading EDC’s efforts to phase out fossil fuel subsidies, secure legislation and regulations that align energy and industrial projects with Canada’s climate commitments, and build support for the need to stop the continued expansion of oil and gas infrastructure in Canada.
The increasingly frequent and severe impacts of climate change have made action to reduce carbon pollution and build a clean energy economy a national and global imperative. Canada has made some progress on climate action, but is not acting fast enough to meet the commitments it made to limit dangerous global warming. Canada continues to provide billions of dollars in public subsidies to oil and gas companies and approve and support high-carbon energy and industrial projects like pipelines. Now is the time to shift Canada’s future away from fossil fuels and get invested in the multi-trillion dollar clean energy future.
- Lead EDC’s efforts to fulfill and accelerate the phase-out of fossil fuel subsidies and secure legislation and regulations that align energy and industrial projects with Canada’s climate commitments.
- Liaise with elected officials, representatives, decision-makers and staff from the federal government and opposition parties to advance climate action.
- Undertake research and develop briefing notes, reports and primers; make government submissions; and represent EDC in legislative, regulatory, and policy processes.
- Monitor and comment on policy developments and breaking news on climate policy, environmental laws and regulations, fossil fuel infrastructure projects, oil spills, and intergovernmental and interprovincial relations.
- Work with the communications team at EDC on media outreach and act as a spokesperson on relevant issues.
- Develop and contribute to regular blogs, opinion editorials, letters to the editor, reports, press releases, statements, etc.
- Develop relationships and represent EDC in meetings with journalists, thought leaders, and other organizations that work on climate and energy.
- Work with the engagement team at EDC to engage EDC supporters and the Canadian public on EDC’s work and relevant major developments in the program area
- Work with the development team to identify grant opportunities and contribute to grant writing and report writing as needed.
- Support the EDC Climate & Energy team to advance energy and climate change efforts in Alberta, Ontario and Ottawa.
- Support movement building and other Environmental Defence campaigns.
- Three to five years experience on related issues
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication; traditional and social media skills an asset
- Experience with media an asset
- Solid understanding of economics and environmental issues, especially climate change and energy policy
- Experience with policy development, political campaigns, advocacy campaigns, and/or government relations a plus
- Strong understanding of Canada’s media and political landscape
- College or university degree in a related field
- Project management experience a plus
- Bilingualism an asset
- Commitment to Environmental Defence Canada’s vision and mission
- Outgoing personality and enthusiastic communicator
- Flexibility and ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Great attention to detail
- A drive for success
- Thrives in a team environment
This is a full time permanent position. We offer a benefits package after a three-month probationary period.
Applications will be accepted until 9 am on Monday, January 7, 2019.
Please direct your application BY EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Climate & Energy Program Manager” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Environmental Defence is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.