Community Outreach Consultant
We are seeking an experienced Community Outreach consultant to deliver on the scope of work outlined below. The contract will be based on fluctuating hours (2-3 days/week) based on needs with a rate of $30/hour. This will be an independent contract.
You need to be self-motivated, and community-driven to take on this exciting role. This position requires someone with strong ties or connections to communities (community organizations, institutions, cultural centers or clubs, etc.) in the Lake Erie region.
Environmental Defence is a leading Canadian environmental advocacy organization that works with government, industry and individuals to defend clean water, a safe climate and healthy communities.
Scope of work
Working with the Senior Engagement Manager the consultant will develop a plan to identify communities in the Lake Erie region in Ontario vulnerable to water-related issues (shoreline erosion, flooding, algae bloom, etc.) and create and implement a strategy to engage these communities to help better understand their experiences, awareness and capacity needs to help secure a healthy environment.
The consultant will work to build meaningful relationships with up to 5 diverse communities and will develop, implement and assess outreach and engagement plans with these communities aiming to create positive social impact, develop helpful programs, and enlist community support for causes.
We are looking for a consultant who has:
- 5 years relevant experience, ideally in an area advancing social change
- Strong active listening skills to help improve working relationships, understand different community needs and summarize key takeaways
- Living or currently located in the Lake Erie region (Ontario)
- An understanding of, and enthusiasm for protecting the health of the region’s freshwater
- Ability to work independently
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Strong project management, organizational, work planning and time-management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Meaningful connections to people from various and marginalized backgrounds
- Relationships with communities and organizations in the Lake Erie basin
- Understanding of water-related issues is an asset
How to apply:
- Include your resume and a cover letter detailing your experience as it relates to this role.
- Send your application by email to email@example.com. Include “Community Outreach Consultant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Environmental Defence embraces equity and diversity and is committed to a workplace that is enriched by the people, needs and desires of Canada’s diverse community. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.