Environmental Defence (environmentaldefence.ca) is Canada’s most effective environmental action organization. We challenge and inspire change in government, business and people to ensure a greener, healthier and prosperous life for all.
POSITION SUMMARY & CORE EXPECTATIONS
We seek an experienced and personable Communications Manager to develop and execute communications plans for our national Climate and Energy programs. The ideal candidate will have experience with media relations, social media engagement, tracking and evaluating communications activities and strong project management skills. They need to be an excellent communicator, organized, work well under pressure, and excel in a collaborative workplace.
- Strategic Planning and Project Management:
- Develop and execute communications plans that include media relations, social media, direct marketing and advertising
- Contribute to campaign plans and provide ongoing strategic advice to campaigners
- Develop and manage communications portion of campaign budgets and work plans
- Support development team’s fundraising initiatives, and other efforts to reach our organizational goals
- Communications Skills:
- Write and edit communications materials including blogs, website text, press releases, op-eds, newsletters, social media content, reports
- Manage the development of advertising and promotional materials such as social media ads, brochures, posters
- Develop media relations strategy (proactive and rapid response), pitch and coordinate media interviews, develop key messages, and train/brief spokespeople
- Social media strategy development, content creation and community management
- Track, measure and share communications best practices with other staff
- External Relationships:
- Develop relationships with key reporters and influencers
- Manage external suppliers in the development and design of promotional materials
- Work effectively with colleagues in other organizations/coalition partners
- 4-5 years experience as a communications professional, ideally in an area advancing social change
- Knowledge of climate and energy issues in Canada; strong understanding of federal politics
- College or university degree in journalism, public relations or marketing, or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; must be able to communicate persuasively online and offline
- A creative thinker who can come up with innovative ways to reach new audiences and/or further engage supporters
- Strong organizational, work planning and time-management skills
- Demonstrated success using social media and earned media relations to advance a campaign/program
- Knowledge of database programs (e.g. Engaging Networks), communications analytics and management tools (e.g. Google Analytics, Sprout Social, Cision), design programs and video/photo editing software (e.g. Adobe Suite, Canva)
- Ability to establish and maintain effective personal relationships with other departments and external partners
- Bilingual French and English (written and spoken) an asset
- Commitment to Environmental Defence’s vision and mission
- Enthusiastic communicator who thrives in a fast-paced atmosphere, can meet tight deadlines and balance competing priorities
- A media savvy professional who enjoys keeping up with the latest news on key issues
- Creative problem-solver with a strong work ethic and keen attention to detail
- Flexible, motivated, and results-oriented; willing to work late or weekends when rapid response is required
- Someone with a sense of humour and can take things in stride
This is a full time, permanent position. We offer a benefits package after a 3 month probationary period.
Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, January 24th 2018 at 9:00 am.
In your application please include your resume, a cover letter detailing communications experience, and a sample tweet about yourself as a candidate for this position.
Please direct your application BY EMAIL to email@example.com. Include “Communications Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Environmental Defence is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.